Sunday, February 24, 2019

GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR (War Games)

Ever since I read through the part of Ready Player One where the movie 'War Games' appears I've been thinking that we should watch it in class one day instead of the other media that we usually do watch (Silicon Valley). I even mentioned it to some of my classmates out loud. I know that watching it was probably planned in the course all along (I believ that it's in the nature of our professor to have things planned like that all along) but a tiny part of me still likes to believe that he overheard me saying it in class and thought 'you know what? yeah we should watch War Games one of these days' and so he mercifully got it and played it for us.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. Even though our professor warned us that the movie was old and that it showed a lot I don't quite believe it did. Not enough for that warning. Where it did, it didn't bother me at all. I think that when a movie is good like that my brain just accepts the universe it presents to me without questioning it. Another influential factor is (I think) that our professor was there in the setting that the movie presents, and I think he can remember and/or relate to the things in the movie, looking back. He sees and has lived the aging with the movie (Gracefully).

One of the things that I enjoyed the most about the movie is that despite having been around for a long time it actually kind of touched upon the single thing that actually worries me about computer security nowadays: with so so many super important, mission-critical or classified or life dependant information and procesess being hosted or automated with computers and the internet, I sometimes consider the possibility of two or more powerful groups (not nations necessarily) getting into conflict or crysis because of something that happended in the computer-data or internet social media world. Just like the characters in the movie, it's a scenario that I wouldn't like to live through.

No comments:

Post a Comment