Sunday, April 7, 2019

Hidden Figures

What I liked the most about the movie is that (even though it is dramatized) I thinkit shows and/or reaffirms something that I believe is true and I think we can actually see clearly in the world today (especially when compared to the time in which the movie is set): oppresive culture ebbs progress.

Even though I believe the movie is a dramatized representation of the events, I also believe that, at the time, at least some people at NASA came to that realization. In the movie it is shown very explicitly when Katherine has to tell Al Harrisson (the boss - already on the moon guy) where she goes for forty minutes a day, and why she does it.

Nowadays it can be observed in highly productive environments such as big companies, and organizations alike, where non-oppresion organically becomes part of the culture (like it happens in the movie, but maybe not that dramatically).

I'm not sure how or why exactly, but I have a feeling that an one can use the fact that an oppresive culture slows down progrss as an argument for proving human equality to a certain extent. The body of the argument or it's specifiications are content for some other, much longer blog post (maybe even another medium).

On an entirely different topic, another thing that I liked about the movie was the usage of the word computer. Apparently, there was a time where people were computers. I don't think that I was familiar with that. Never in my life I had heard that. Now every that I'm performing some complicated - enough computation I start calling myself a computer because of it.

Something that bothered me about the movie was that lots of other allegedly smart people were very uncomfortable with black people. I understand their uncomfortable feelings, as they were raised that way, but I do not understand their inability to overcome those feelings like only the boss did.

No comments:

Post a Comment