Sunday, March 31, 2019

Ethical Reflection on Ready Player One

The discussed quotations as well as the original questions can be found at this activitie's site.

Do you agree with the quotations?
I do not. I believe that the quotations are valid personal judgements of the value of what I'd call alternate / artificial realities. I think that these characters have these opinions because they see more value in the real world than in the one they created, but I wouldn't be comfortable with producing the same judgement or sharing that opinion before actually experiencing the two 'realities' they are comparing.

I do understand that, in that particular story the OASIS can be seen as a distraction that takes away time from otherwise be humanity progressing, but I don't believe that that is something inherently wrong or flawed with the OASIS. I think that the real flaw is the human tendency of seeking distractions(?). I believe humans find other distractions or 'shelters from their problems' even if something like the OASIS isn't there.

Do you personally see any virtues in a system like the OASIS?
I do. I think that the ability to 'live out'/'actually experience' basically anything imaginable (do anything, be anyone) would empower humanity to have a different perspective on the human condition that could help us overcome flaws and limitations that we share as a species.

Do you think our value system (personal and cultural values) could be altered if we spent most of our time in an OASIS like system?
Yes. Particularly the things we value. I think that, as humans, the things we desire are not always well lined up with what is best for us. Both individually and as a group. Like I mentioned, maybe if we got to spend most of our time in a reality where anything is possible then that migh help us shift our priorities towards something that is truer for the betterment of everyone. (I could also see it going the other way around too though, like in the novel)

It'd be important to mention that I believe that the more the experience in a system like the OASIS becomes indistinguishable from the real experience, the more I'd stand for the answerst to my last two questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment